Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Try These Old Fashion Tomato Soups At Your House For Something Delicious


I love soups, particularly homemade ones. and a few of my favorites are those from my Fifties childhood that have continued on as I actually have created them for my youngsters and grandchildren.  Homegrown tomatoes were a giant a part of my childhood.  Our gardens were packed with them within the summertime and that we canned them to get pleasure from all winter in our soups and stews. these days i do know longer have a garden or home canned fruits and vegetables therefore I resort to things from the grocer's shelves.  Either way, these soups are superb. The Tomato Bisque is an recent homemade version that's a favourite since it's a potato, one in every of my favorite foods, in it!  The second recipe is one my late mother got from a Hunt's Tomato Sauce will after I was a baby within the Fifties. it's nearly as good these days because it was then. it absolutely was perpetually a decent thanks to heat up throughout those cold Indiana winters of my childhood. it's still a favourite with my very own grandchildren these days. I hope you get pleasure from it the maximum amount as I do.

TOMATO BISQUE
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 one/2 cups peeled and diced potato
4 chicken bouillon cubes
3 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 will (28-oz) whole tomatoes, don't drain
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
sour cream for garnish, if desired

In a massive saucepan, soften the butter then add the onion and cook over medium heat for regarding five minutes till transluscent.  Stir often throughout the cooking therefore as to not burn.

Add the diced potatoes, bouillon, water, and seasonings to the onion. cowl the pan and cook for quarter-hour.  Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar to the potato/onion mixture.  Stir well to mix.  Replace lid and simmer for twenty to twenty five minutes. take away the bay leaf.

Pour into mix in tiny batches and puree till swish and thick.  Pour into soup bowls and high with bitter cream, if desired.

I like mine served with crackers or a crusty bread. currently that i'm diabetic, it's sometimes a crusty whole-grain bread.

This soup may be created prior time, stored within the refrigerator and reheated to serve hot or is also served cold on hot summer days.

1950s HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
2 Tablesp. Wesson, pure vegetable oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup diced celery
2 8-oz. cans Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1/2 teasp. whole pepper
1/8 teasp. thyme
2 sprigs parsley
3 cups beef stock or bouillon
1/4 teasp. salt
1/2 teasp. pepper

Cook onion, carrot and celery in oil five minutes.  Add Hunt's Tomato Sauce, seasonings, and parsley. cowl and simmer one hour.  Strain and add beef stock, salt, and pepper.  Heat along.  Makes four servings.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment